Tuesday, September 16, 2014

York Peppermint Pattie Overnight Oats & Banana Ice Cream Parfait


My family used to live in Wisconsin, USA (borders Canada). One of my favourite childhood memories is going outside after a large snowfall, gathering up the clean, bright white top layer of snow, and mixing in flavours. Sometime vanilla extract. Most often peppermint extract. Goodness gracious it was magically delicious. I'd rate it higher than any ice cream. This banana peppermint ice cream tastes pretty similar, although it does lack a big of the magic of snow ice cream.


I'm a big sucker for anything mint. It's definitely one of my favourite flavours. I also remember that when I was little we were friends with this family who had some mint plants growing behind a shed (which also doubled as a "museum," where they kept all sorts of treasures like sea urchins. yeah, they're a pretty cool family). The kids and I would go and pick the mint leaves and just eat them all by themselves. We recently got our own mint plant and I must admit, I've been nomming away at the leaves.

I'm also a big fan of peppermint flavoured candies. Regular peppermints, candy canes, but especially peppermint patties. Which is why I'm so stoked to have a healthy breakfast recreation of a York Peppermint Pattie. Being able to eat something that tastes an awful lot like peppermint patties for a meal and not feel nauseous afterwards? Definitely the best experience.

In order to enjoy eating candy for brekky, you'll need:
1 mashed banana
1 tablespoon agave
1 cup almond milk
3/4 cup oats
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons of cacao/chocolate nut butter (I used Mayver's Cacao and Peanut Spread. In a pinch, you can use plain cacao/cocoa powder instead, but I personally prefer the nutty flavour)

Combine all the ingredients in a jar and refrigerate overnight (minimum of 2 hours)

For the banana ice cream:
2 frozen bananas
3 drops of peppermint oil (or 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract)
a bit of almond milk to help the bananas combine, add till you reach your desired consistency

Throw the bananas, almond milk and peppermint oil into a food processor and blend it up. Layer it with the oats and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment