Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Buckwheat Waffles & Blueberry Syrup


I've been wanting to make waffles for awhile now. I've never ever had a waffle iron. My only waffle memories are from going on trips and staying hotels that had really nice continental breakfasts. You'd grab a plastic cup full of waffle mix, pour it into the waffle iron, walk away, hear it ding, open it up, and BAM, a perfect, crispy waffle. I used to live in Texas and once in awhile the hotels would actually have a waffle iron in the shape of the state (because Texas pride is ridiculous).


So, when I was at Big W (where it seems I get all of my fun kitchen stuff) and saw an animal waffle iron for $18 I couldn't resist. In the past, Big W appliances have failed my family (not worked at all), and when we've tried to return them they have been major jerkfaces. So, I was a bit hesitant. But the possibility of animal waffles was too hard to walk away from, and lucky for me, it worked! Phew! What a relief. 


Making the waffles was a whole other catastrophe though. The batter was too runny. The waffles were too soft. I over-filled the iron and then there was a runny, gooey mess all over the counter top. It was very traumatizing. Luckily, the second go went much, much better. I ended up with soft, but slightly crunchy waffles in the shape of a lion, elephant, and giraffe. 

And the blueberry syrup came out perfect on the first attempt. Like it was really really good. Not too sweet. But just on that border for me between, "YES IT'S SUGARY" and "OH GOD I AM DYING FROM SUGAR OVERLOAD."

For the waffles (makes 6 little animals, or about 2 regular waffles) you'll need:
1 mashed banana
1/3  cup + 3 tablespoons almond milk (you want the batter to be thicker than regular waffle batter, but if it's like dough add a bit extra)
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 flax egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
2/3 cup buckwheat flour
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon baking powder

Heat up the waffle iron. Mix up the wet ingredients. Add the dry. Depending on how fancy/non-sticky your waffle iron is, you may need to add some oil of choice to ensure the waffles don't stick. Pour batter into the waffle mold and cook for about 2-4 minutes (time will vary depending on your waffle iron). I waited until mine were a bit browned on top so they'd be crunchy on the outside.

For the blueberry syrup (makes a bit extra. i saved mine in the fridge for future pancakes/waffles) you'll need:
2/3 cup blueberries
1/3 cup water
2 tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons lemon juice

Blend up the blueberries and water (you could mash the blueberries, but then you'd need to strain out the skins). Pour the blueberry mix into a sauce pan. Add the maple syrup and lemon juice. Cook on medium/high heat until it begins to boil. Turn off the heat and pour on your waffles. Yum.


No comments:

Post a Comment