Friday, September 19, 2014

Choc-Peanut Butter & Strawberry Nana Ice Cream Slice



Nana ice cream is one of my very favourite foods. I don't even like bananas that much, but once they're frozen and blended to perfection, it's incredible. It doesn't taste like "real" ice cream of course, but I've come to prefer it. It isn't as sweet. So you can eat it for breakfast, for lunch, for dinner even. You can eat it any time of day for a snack or a dessert and feel good about yourself. You are eating fruit, after all. But sometimes I want something a little bit more dessert-y. Something you actually should try to restrain yourself from eating all of. And that's where these guys come in!


Delicious little ice cream bars. No added sweetner in the ice cream, but there is peanut butter, chocolate nut butter, and cashews. Yummy! There's also medjool dates and maple syrup in the crust mostly for functionality (holding the oats together), but that also adds a little bit more sugary fun to the agenda. I've mentioned before that if I eat too many nuts I don't feel too well. So, I'm not fully enamored with raw vegan cheesecakes, seeing as it's like eating a big chunk of cashews. These bars go down way better for me, since they have a more reserved amount of nuts. A little bit sweeter than fruit, not too nutty, but still a healthier dessert option.

Also, just a side note: something kind of insane happened when I posted these guys on Instagram. I got more than double the number of likes I have on any other photo. It was really insane....like I'm not sure how that could've happened....but it was the weirdst, neatest thing. So, yeah...if someone could explain to me how they could've even been seen by that many people, let alone liked by that many people, please do let me know.

So, to make these little delicious ice cream treats you'll need:
for the crust: 1 cup oats
1/2 cup shredded coconut
10 medjool dates
1/8 cup maple syrup

Line a brownie pan with baking paper. Make sure you remove the seeds from the dates. Blend all the ingredients in a food processor, press it down in the pan to form a crust, and put it in the freezer while you make the PB layer.

for the peanut butter layer: 2 bananas
3 tablespoons peanut butter (I used Mayver's peanut coconut spread)
1/4 cup cashews

Blend in food processor, put in pan, put in the freezer.

for the chocolate layer: 2 bananas
3 tablespoons chocolate nut butter (I used Mayver's hazelnut cacao spread)
1/4 cup cashews

Blend in food processor, put in pan, top with fresh strawberries (I used 8), and put in the freezer overnight, cut 'em up in the morning and try to restrain yourself from inhaling the whole pan cause oh lord, did I want to.




No comments:

Post a Comment