Saturday, September 20, 2014

Why "anteloupe?"

When I started High School in Australia (I'm American by birth), my insulin pump broke. It was like my second or third day of school so I was still really new. I had to go home, because you know, I wasn't getting any insulin and I was going to die without it. My mom and I had to run around and apply for a new pump, deal with new Australian insurance being jerks, get syringes, talk to doctors so I could switch back to using shots temporarily. It was a huge pain, but that isn't really related to this story.

Anyway, I later became good friends with this group of guys and at some point...like a good year and a half later, it came out that when I was new they referred to me as "Antelope." Because when my insulin pump broke one friend was telling my other friend about it, and he didn't understand what friend #1 was saying. He somehow thought "insulin pump" sounded like "cantaloupe." So, the conversation went like "Her insulin pump broke" "What cantaloupe?" "No, insulin pump." "Antelope?!" And from then on, they called me Antelope behind my back.

When I found out I thought it was the coolest thing ever! I had a secret nickname! Not just any secret nickname. A cool secret nickname! When we had to choose what to put on the backs of our Year 12 jerseys (it's an Australian thing where you get an Australian style football jersey and put some sort of nickname or pun or your last name or something on the back) I couldn't think of anything good. So, I got Antelope. When my teachers would ask me why and I told them the story they acted sorry for me. Not too sure why....I guess because they felt like my friends were mocking me? I thought it was cool (still do, obviously).

I still hate coming up with names for stuff. So, awhile ago when I signed up for a Snapchat account I couldn't think of a username and my friend, Celestina, suggested I just use Antelope. Of course it was already taken. Then she suggested "anteloupe, like antelope and cantaloupe put together." That has sorta just become my generic username for everything.

Buuuut! I thought it was particularly appropriate and actually semi-meaningful for my food insta/blog because it has to do with my having type 1 diabetes and with cantaloupes which are a fruit!

1 comment:

  1. That is adorable! I clicked on your Instagram because of your awesome username, and I'm so glad I found your blog. Your story is inspiring, and your recipes look simple (but so creative!) and delicious.

    ReplyDelete