Saturday, September 20, 2014

Strawberry Crumble


So, next to my nana ice cream slice, this is definitely my favourite recipe I've created. I'm not too sure how to explain why....it was really just super good. I posted it on insta, and gushed about how delicious it was in the caption. Later, I made it again for my mum's breakfast and she said "Wow. You really weren't joking. This is so good." So, if you don't trust me, trust my mum.


Like all of these recipes (so far), it's ridiculously simple and is basically just as hard as making baked oatmeal...well, maybe a little bit harder. But it's still so easy that I'm practically asleep while making it from boredom. I know that appeals to some people, recipes being quick, simple, and boring. So, that's a selling point for this (don't get me wrong, it shouldn't be a negative, I just like really involved recipes, I find them fun). Regardless, even if you're weird like me and want to make something that takes a good five hours and fifty different bowls, three rounds in the oven, and one on the stove top, you probably don't want to do that first thing in the morning when your stomach is rumbling and you want to double over in hunger-pains (again, that might just be me....I get really hungry). 

We'd probably better get on to it. At this point, reading my ramblings is going to take you longer than making this recipe (whoopsises).

You'll need:
for the crumble: a handful of almonds
1/3 cup oats
1 tablespoon maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 tablespoon coconut oil

Pulse the almonds in a food processor (or chomp 'em up by hand if you're a caveman, or looking to drag the recipe out a bit longer) and combine with all other crumble ingredients in a bowl, by mixing/stirring/telekinesis.

for the filling: 1 cup strawberries
1 tablespoon maple syrup
a smidgen of coconut oil

Grease the ramekin up with a bit of coconut oil (no need to make it look like a body-builder ramekin, just a bit of oil will do). If your strawberries are frozen, melt/defrost them in the microwave. Mash up the strawberries (just a bit, not into a pulp. let's not get aggressive here, mate). Add maple syrup. Put the mixture into the ramekin (or just make it in the ramekin from the get-go like I did). Top with the crumble mixture and bake at 160 C for 8-10 minutes.

Now while that is baking, I would like to very very strongly recommend you whip up some cinnamon nana ice cream. It just makes all the difference (like Robert Frost choosing the slightly grassier path, anyone? no? okay). For that you just chuck a frozen banana or two into the food processor, add some cinnamon (maybe about 1/2 teaspoon), add a little almond milk to get it to combine, and whizz it up! Chuck it on top of the crumble and ooh and ahh at how it takes like a healthy cobbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment