Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pumpkin Chickpea Flour Gnocchi


Pasta is legit one of my favourite things. Gnocchi is probs one of my top three pastas. Alas, I hardly ever eat pasta (or gnocchi for that matter) because of my little issue called FLOUR MAKES ME SICK AS A DAWG. However, now that I've discovered all these beautiful little flour substitutes, I can now enjoy pasta again. HOORAY!


So, I used chickpea flour for this and I was really put off by the smell. If you are too, never fear! The pumpkin masks it for the most part, and what it doesn't mask actually complements the pumpkin really well (in my humble opinion).

I guess that's about it. Gluten-free, vegan, PUMPKIN. Pasta without the pain (as I said on IG and probably should not repeat but I am repeating it cuz I'm a loser).

To make painless gnocchi (serves four) you'll need:
1 and 1/3 cups pumpkin puree
3 cups chickpea flour
2 tablespoons thyme
2 tablespoons flax
pinch of salt & pepper

Mix all the ingredients together and set a pot of salted water on the stove top to boil. Flour a surface (eg. countertop) and roll out the dough into a tube (I did this in segments of 6). Slice the tube into pieces and flatten each piece with a fork. Once the water is boiling, toss the gnocchi into the pot (in 3ish batches). Once the gnocchi rise to the top, they're done. Fish them out with a slotted spoon. Oil a skillet and fry the gnocchi at medium-low heat for approximately 30 seconds on each side, until they've slightly browned (again I did this in about 3 batches, but that will depend on the size of your skillet). Take them out of the skillet, top with pasta sauce and soy cheese (OMG IT IS THE ACTUAL BEST THING, NO JOKE), and eat it up!

P.S. I've been eating heaps of homemade soup lately, and you can just chuck little balls of this dough into the water and BOOM pumpkin dumplings in your soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment