Thursday, October 16, 2014

Maple Granola


This is my go-to granola recipe. I'm not one for experimenting so this was actually a product of not having the right ingredients. I used to use an amazing honey/citrus granola recipe from le pirate, but one day I forgot to buy an orange or honey at the store, and I needed my granola fix. So, I subbed in maple syrup and omitted the orange. My mum (who at the time ate most of the granola, cause I was eating nana ice cream for brekky) actually liked it better with maple syrup. So, I started making it that way. The next time I made it, I was missing pistachios. So, I substituted pepitas (pumpkin seeds). I'm not a huge nut-eater and nor is my mum (we both are slightly allergic). Again, happy coincidence. Then I finally started messing with the oat/chia/quinoa ratios to get them the way I liked. And soon, this recipe replaced the old citrus/honey one. To be honest, this might have been the first time I actually semi-recipe experimented ever....


My mum normally eats this granola with greek yoghurt. I normally eat it on smoothie/acai bowls (or by the handful...hehe....it's insidious....). I also chuck it on top of nana ice cream once in awhile if I'm in a super crunchy mood. Basically, it's good on almost everything.

To make this granola (makes a BIIIIIG batch that will last for at least a week, unless you're a huge granola fiend), you'll need:
2 and 1/2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup quinoa
1/8 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup chopped almonds
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 cup melted coconut oil
1/2 cup maple syrup
dried (chopped) apples (apprx. 7)
dried (chopped) apricots (apprx. 12)
craisins (apprx. 1 big handful)

Pre-heat oven to 200 C. Mix chia, quinoa, oats, pepitas & chopped almonds together. Add the spices and mix again. Add coconut oil & maple syrup and combine. Place a sheet of baking paper on a baking tray, and spread the granola evenly on the tray. Bake for 20-30 min (until it's all slightly browned (or more if you like it a bit burnt), the top layer will be brown before the whole thing is cooked which is where the next step comes in), stirring every 10 minutes. While the granola is baking, chop up[ the apricots and apples. Remove granola from oven. Let cool and mix in dried fruit. Store in a jar and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment