Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Chocolate Mylkshake with Coconut Whipped Cream


Let's just take a moment to acknowledge the severe lack of smoothie/drink recipes on this blog. It's pretty sparse. There are essentially two reasons for this. 1. I'm not a big smoothie drinker. I like my food either cooked or solid, aside from nana ice cream and acai bowls. 2. I feel like there isn't much I can offer you with a smoothie recipe. It's like "Put in a banana, some strawberries. There you go! Banana and strawberry smoothie!" I'm not enough of a smoothie connoisseur to know all the fancy little spices and extra thingies you add to make them super special and delicious. 

However, eons ago, I made a Banana Popcorn Thickshake which means that there's a Smoothies/Drinks category in my recipe index, and it has ONLY ONE RECIPE. Now, I'm a tad obsessive/OCD and for some reason having only one or two things in a category keeps me up at night (just kidding (jokes, i'm actually serious (haha, no i'm not (okay, maybe a little)))). So, when I made this (DELICIOUS) chocolate mylkshake this morning, I decided I'd better put it up on here to try and bulk up that sad, little Smoothies/Drinks category (and to help me get to sleep tonight).

So, in order to make the Chocolate Mylkshake (and cure my blog-related insomnia) you'll need:
for the mylkshake: 3 frozen bananas
1/2 avocado
1/2 tablespoon almond (or other nut) butter
2 and 1/2 tablespoons cocoa/cacao powder
1 tablespoon agave
2 cups almond milk

Throw all the ingredients into a blender and whizz it all up until smooth and creamy. Separate into two smallish glasses and share, or pour it into one big glass if you're starving.

for the coconut whipped cream: 270 ml can of full-fat coconut milk (I used Ayam premium coconut milk, but basically just make sure you shake whatever can of coconut milk you're gonna buy BEFORE you buy it. You want one that doesn't slosh around very much to at all.)
1/2 tablespoon agave

Leave the coconut milk in the fridge overnight (or for 6ish hours). This allows the stuff in the milk to separate. You should (hopefully) get a plastery type top layer and a liquid bottom layer. Open the can from the bottom and pour out the liquid layer (you aren't gonna use this stuff). Scoop out the hard, plaster junk and put it in a bowl. Whisk it for a bit, add the agave, and keep whisking until it forms soft peaks. It may make a bit extra, store that in the fridge in a tupperware for the next time you need whipped cream (Perhaps on nana ice cream? Or maybe make a bit more whipped cream and make a tart?) Top your mylkshake(s) with the whipped cream, maybe some cacao nibs, maybe even consider getting some fresh berries and dunking them in the shake (it was a really good life decision, guise) and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment