Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Do-si-dos


Okay, I couldn't stop at Samoas. I had to make Do-si-dos. I was having a major baking/peanut butter craving in the middle of the night and I couldn't resist the temptation to make these. Admittedly, Tagalongs are my favourite Girl Scout Cookies after Samoas, but I wasn't in the mood to deal with dipping things in chocolate and freezing them and blaahhhh. So, Do-si-dos it was!


I wanted to have a major meltdown because they didn't come out looking like packaged Do-si-dos. They're pretty obviously homemade. But they did taste just like the real deal (but healthier!). This time around they aren't gluten-free (soz). Because I love oats. Oats oats oats. And I was not about to sacrifice oatmeal cookies for the sake of being gluten-free. But you could play around and replace the oats with more buckwheat flour for 100% gluten-free. Like last time, though, they're vegan and refined sugar-free! Yippee!

You'll need:
for the cookies: 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 cup oats 
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 tablespoons flax
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/3 cup honey
3 tablespoons coconut oil

Pre-heat the oven to 180 C and line a baking tray with baking paper or oil it. Mix up the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix again. Roll the dough into tiny balls in your hands and flatten them out on the baking tray. Bake for 4-10 minutes, until the tops have slightly browned.

for the filling: 1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon honey

Mix up the ingredients together until combined (or whip them for a fluffier texture). Spread between two of the cookies. And there you have it, sports fans (or baking fans?)! Homemade Do-si-dos!


No comments:

Post a Comment