Sunday, May 17, 2015

Lamingtons {V, GF}


These lamingtons were the biggest pain in the butt. Seriously. I made them three times. THREE TIMES. And why? Basically because I'm a doofus. I didn't realize I was using a gluten-free bread mix instead of gluten-free flour.

They kept turning out hard and rock-like. And I just couldn't understand why. Until I suddenly read the ingredients on the bread mix packet and noticed it had things like leavening and oil. DOH. 

So, then I re-made them with actual gluten-free flour (probably a smart move, aye?) and I was quite happy with them. They aren't super sweet, because that's how I like 'em. Maybe add a bit more coconut sugar if you like them suuuppaahhh sweet. Also, I tested the texture of these gluten-free ones against a gluten-ridden one, and really they're pretty similar. These ones are slightly different, but I actually liked these ones better. They're earthier...in a good way. ;)

Lamingtons
For the sponge cake: 2 chia eggs
1 and 1/3 cup Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1 tbs white vinegar
2 cups gluten-free flour mix (I used Bob's Red Mill)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda (aka bi-carb soda)
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup coconut sugar

Mix 2 tbs chia seeds with 6 tbs water and let sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes to make the chia eggs. Preheat oven to 180C fan-forced. Blend the chia eggs. Whisk the vinegar and almond milk together and set aside. Mix dry ingredients together. Mix coconut oil, vanilla essence and coconut sugar with the almond milk and vinegar. Slowly add the wet mixture to the dry mixture. Pour into an oiled and floured baking pan and bake for 18-25 minutes, until a knife comes out clean. Let cool. Remove from pan. Let cool completely before slicing.

For the chocolate coating: 3/4 cup cocoa/cacao powder
6 tbs coconut nectar
3 tbs coconut oil
apprx. 6 tbs hot water
Desiccated coconut

Mix cocoa powder, coconut nectar, and coconut oil together. Slowly add hot water until you reach your desired consistency. Dunk the sponge cake in the chocolate and sprinkle with desiccated coconut. Pop into the fridge for about an hour before enjoying. Continue to store in a sealed container in the fridge.

No comments:

Post a Comment